Here are the character creation items you need to know:
- All characters start at 1st level unless directed otherwise by the DM
- Use the point buy system in Pathfinder using the 25-point ‘epic fantasy’ level. Make sure you purchase ability points correctly using the purchase costs in Table I-1 in Pathfinder Core Rulebook (p.16)
- Each player character has 2 Traits, these follow the standard Pathfinder rules where you may only choose 1 Trait from any given source except for the basic ones available in the web enhancement document. Example: you could have 2 traits from the web enhancement, or you could have 1 from the web enhancement and 1 from the Dwarves of Golarion supplement (if your character is a dwarf), but you could not choose 2 traits from the Dwarves of Golarion supplement.
- In addition to the 2 Traits in #3, the DM will also be providing your character a ‘Background Feat’ which he determines based on your character’s background.
- All characters need to be approved by the DM, so run your idea past him prior to getting deep into creation.
- Any core race is allowed, all other races need to be considered by DM. If you wish to use alternate racial traits from the Advanced Race Guide, discuss with the DM.
- Any core class is allowed, all other classes – including those from the Advanced Player Guide – need to be considered by DM.
- Evil alignment characters are discouraged, but not forbidden – it will greatly depend on character background and history (i.e. you’d really have to ‘sell’ it to the DM.)
- Don’t forget about the ‘favored class’ option in Pathfinder. But also be aware that, with some rare exceptions, the choice cannot be undone and only one favored class is allowed. Also remember that the benefits are retroactive, so you can delay choosing a favored class and still get all the benefits if you do choose later on.
- Player Characters get maximum hit points per level.